IMM

Default Lead-Loc and Gas pipes

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
"John" wrote in message

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news

SNIP

I'm fairly sure tin or lead pipe work is not currently acceptable.
I guess leaking is ID (See FAQ) and sound existing installations are

AR.

Never heard of tin pipework, but wrt Pb IIRC BS6891 says that existing

lead
pipework is acceptable if in good condition. You're not allowed to

extend
it
or put in new, but you can use what's there.

That's the way I look at it in on site situations. I give a NCS or Not

Current Standards report. It does strike me as a pretty considerable

risk
in
a fire situation though. There was a terraced house fire in Goole some

time
ago in which the local rag reported the gas had to be cut off during

fire
fighting due to a leak "due to the fire" ...

I'd reckon that any soldered joint would be at risk of coming apart and
****ing out gas in a fi all it needs is a bit of pull on the joint

which
could happen as a result of various things going on due to the fire even

if
there weren't pre-exisiting stresses acting on the pipework (of course

there
shouldn't be but there's no way of telling in an installation). AIUI this

is
why soft-soldered joints are prohibited for oil supply pipework. I guess

The
Powers That Be reckon the risks posed by soldered gas pipework are not

worth
the enormous hassle of changing practice in the industry to avert.

Soldered joints are not allowed inside the chimney breast of a back boiler
installation, and haven't been fro around 30 years.