Bruce Barnett

"Riz" writes:

I want to make small models of trains (passenger cars, cabooses, tanks
etc.) from wood. I am very new in this and would like to know the
following basic questions:

I'm not a miniaturist, so I can't give you experienced advice.

Having said that - Get the Micro-Mark catalog. http://www.micromark.com/
They specialize in tools for miniatures and model builders.

- How the scaling/measurement would be done

There are standard scales used. Perhaps 1 inch == 1 foot (1:12 scale).
This makes it easier to convert (6 feet = 6 inches).

But decide on the scale early on. You need to be consistent, and you
need to find matching items. People, building, trees, barrels, etc.
All are available at hobby shops if you pick the right scale.

- What type of wood would be needed for this

Generally basswood. Balsa is too soft to work with. You can also get thin
pieces of mahogany. But basswood is strong, light colored, and
generally free of knots and imperfections.

- What type of hand tools/other tools would be required

A Dremel (or Foredom) tool can be very versatile. It can be a router,
a drill press, a cut-off saw, etc.

For detail cutting, you can use a coping saw or jeweler's saw.
There is a bench V block that is important. You clamp it onto your bench and
it allows you to make fine cuts in thin wood.

One picture of such a device is http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Sawclamp.jpg

Here's the one on Micro-mark:

http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=20127

I have never used them, but I would imagine a quality miniature table
saw would be very useful. You can use a hand saw, but cutting a dozen
pieces the same size would be difficult unless you had a jig to ensure
the same dimensions. (i.e. a cross-cut table with stop blocks).

Micro-Mark has miniature table saws for small pieces. I've seen other
saws at Woodcraft. Brand names are Microlux and Proxxon.

Here is another one site I googled: http://www.preac.com/
They make miniature saws, sanders, etc.

I would imagine the small lathes for pens would be suitable for
miniatures. They go for about $50-$250.

I would guess the first power tool you get in a dremel/foredom.
Next, a table saw. I don't know your budget.

- What type of paint shall be used

Check the Micro-mark catalog. I think they have videos. Some of the
results they get are amazing. I love how they add weathering to the
models - to make them look older.

There are special magazines and forums for scale model builders. Good luck.
It looks like fun.