cm

I have a friend turning and selling bowls in the $2000.00 - $5000.00 range.
He doesn't give a crap weather they are art or craft as long as people buy
them.

The stuff I turn would be considered craft or should I say crap:-) Turning
does quiet the voices in my head!

cm

..
"WillR" wrote in message
.. .
Arch wrote:
Many of us claim to be bored and disinterested about the Art and Craft
thing. We often feel a need to disclaim any interest in this tiresome
non sequitur and feel we must apologize for posting about a
'non-problem'. We dissemble and distance ourselves, but we sure keep on
bringing the subject up. Why won't it fade away? Maybe this was
answered in Art 101, but not all of us took the course.

What mad pursuit? What struggle to escape?
What pipes and timbrels? What wild ecstasy?

Draw you own conclusions, but perhaps one reason is that as woodturners
increase in number and decrease in age, their view becomes less limited,
and their attitudes are more proactive or at least, less reactive.

And, happy melodist, unweari-ed,
Forever piping songs forever new;

and...

When old age shall this generation waste,
Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woe

Another thing that those fluent in 'Art Speak' know that I don't is why
art doesn't progress.

Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard
Are sweeter; therefore, ye soft pipes, play on;

Science and most human endeavors progress, but
art doesn't.

Forever warm and still to be enjoyed,
Forever panting, and forever young;

I mean Barry's Husky and George's Nova are far better
machines than ancient foot lathes, but the vases of today don't seem any
better than Keat's Grecian Urns.

Sylvan historian, who canst thus express
A flowery tale more sweetly than our rhyme:

Paintings of distorted wris****ches and
soup cans, although different, don't really represent progress from the
treasures painted on old walls and ceilings of Rome. Same with classical
music.

Who are these coming to the sacrifice?
To what green altar, O mysterious priest,
Lead'st thou that heifer lowing at the skies,
And all her silken flanks with garlands dressed?

To pick up on William Noble's terse challenge on another thread, I
wonder if repeats of a piece of creative art, although turned by the
original artist, are truly art or mere reproductions. Can the signature
work of a turner-artist, even if the repeats exceed his original
creation, be art? Can an artist plagiarize himself? Our lawyers will
know, but I bet the rest of us don't.

Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou say'st,
"Beauty is truth, truth beauty"---that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

I'll go ahead and post this much since I started it, but after seeing
the pictures tonight of the Sugar Bowl, to continue musing about art and
turned wood bowls seems crass and importune. Better to offer prayers
and sympathetic understanding for our Gulf Coast neighbors.....and to
Send Help.

Turn to Safety, Arch Fortiter

http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~keith/poems/urn.html

--