Robert Swinney

Don sez:
" I've see the old wind-up style phonographs with springs at least
1" wide. It may not have been 1/16th inch thick, however. Since I last
saw this back in about 1956 or so, my memory is somewhat faded by now.
Any one in repairable condition should be treated as an antique by now,
however."

Well, it wasn't quite as far back as 1956 but I got "wound up" in an old
phonograph adventure of my own. You know, it was the type that has the dog
in front with his ear cocked toward the horn. Well, ok, the dog didn't come
with it and the horn was a folded one opening out with louvers at the lower
front of the cabinet. Anyway, I shrewdly determined the spring was broken
and proceeded to release it from it's retaining can underneath the main
chassis. Big mistake! The spring sprung out of captivity with all the
ferocity of a starving anaconda and proceeded to do a constrictor number on
me. The wife rescued me; helped pull the greasy loops and coils of that
"snake" off of me.

The eye where the spring hooks to the winding shaft had been torn out.
Annealing the end and a bit of chisel work to make a new eye restored the
old spring to like-new condition. Moral: Treat every spring like a loaded
spring.

Bob Swinney

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article ,
Jordan wrote:
I need some flat spring steel and wonder where I could find it, maybe
off some old equipment.
Needs to be 1/2 inch wide, 1/16 inch or so thick, and only a couple of
inches long.

Hmm ... MSC sells steel spring rolls in various widths and
thicknesses. You might have to buy a 100 foot roll for your two inches.
:-)

I know that gunsmith suppliers offer packs of short flat springs
of various widths and thicknesses.

That's wider than any clock spring I've seen, and have been trying to
remember if I've seen anything like that, I could scavenge?

Do those "recoil start" lawnmowers have such a spring?

Probably.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564