Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 20:16:18 +1000, Franc Zabkar
put finger to keyboard and composed:

But how can I test for excessive voltage?

Locate and measure the test points alluded to above. If the B+ voltage
is much greater than the spec, I would suspect any small electrolytic
capacitors on the primary side of the switchmode transformer.

I should have said that another common fault which gives rise to an
excessive flyback pulse amplitude is an open or partially open tuning
capacitor. This is often a metallised film type (eg 10nF 1.6kV)
connected between the C and E of the HOT (horiz output transistor).

- Franc Zabkar