John Smith

All,
Thankyou for your replies.
BTW my name is Peter and not John Smith (silly outlook setting at the time)
I'll reply here to all the posts I got so far.

Donald - I don't think the problem is a dry joint on the flyback trasformer,
The joints look OK, and there is no life from the flyback if I prod it.

Daniel - Yes I am using as CRO, I borrowed a 100mghz HP from a friend,
but did not spend much time in trying to figure out how to use it.
If I knew where to start looking, I would probably spend more time
connecting the test lead properly, and analysing.
As to your question, the horizontal output from the chip (pin 19, I attached
a block diagram of the IC in my original post,
but it did not come through) Anyway, the Horizontal output is non existant.
Ie = zero.

Franc - I think that your onto something here.
On powerup, I do get a brief static pop as if the tube is firing up, but
nothing else.
Is there some indication to show that the set has gone to protection mode?
I don't know what the "line stage" of the "B+" are, but I did find that pin
20 on the chip is called the
"High voltage detection/shut down input", so I could trace back through the
schematic to see where it goes (I guess).
But how can I test for excessive voltage?
Correct me if I am wrong, but if the chip goes into protection mode, then
the excessive voltage is likely to be shut down as well?
I could, disconnect pin 20, but don't I then run the risk of frying more of
the set?
I remember reading an article where someone used an auto transformer to
bring the mains up slowly,
but I don't have one, and it's not likely to work on a switch mode power
supply anyway.

Anyway,
I'll go away and prod the TV some more now.

Thanks once again for your tips & pointers (tups & punters if your a Kiwi
:-).
Peter

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 07:08:58 +1000, "John Smith"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have been trying to fix my TV which has sound, but no picture.
I am not very good at fixing TVs, and was wondering if someone could help
me.
The power supply voltages are ok, and there is no life in the high

voltage
transformer.
The circuit that supplies the transofrmer has DC but no AC.
As I understand it, it is fed by the horizontal out of the AN5607 chip.

If there is a fault in the line stage, or if the B+ is excessive, many
sets are designed to go into protection mode. Often you will hear a
quick hiss of EHT followed by immediate shutdown.

- Franc Zabkar