ATP*

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
How are 5C collets tightened? They're threaded inside & out, so I suppose
that a drawbar is used. But I don't see any drawbars for sale, except
really exotic ones for $100's. Is it just assumed that the drawbar is
something that comes with the lathe/mill/chuck? Or that one just makes
one's own?

Puzzled,
Bob

Keep an eye on ebay- I eventually acquired a 5C drawbar for my SB 10L for
about $60 and the taper and thread protector added about $40. More than I
wanted to pay, but cheaper than the local dealer and a little below the
usual ebay prices. You can make your own but I was quite happy with the fit
and finish of the original South Bend drawbar. Duplicating it would not be a
trivial job in my estimation, especially if you had nothing to copy from.