Bill Janssen

spaco wrote:

the other posts say it well. I hae used the primary of a car or
snowmobile ignition coil to run "ignitor" engines. Just the primary
in series with the battery and the ignitor. I suppose that if you get
technical about it, you might want to consider some sort of resistor
in series with it all to keep the ignitor terminals from arcing more
than needed.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------------

The resistor will do is protect the coil and wiring from excessive
current when the contacts are closed.
Also a resistor will allow the use of a higher voltage which can build
up the magnetic field quicker
and allow the engine to run at a higher RPM

Bill K7NOM

Steve Mulhollan wrote:

I recently purchased a 1 1/2 HP Economy hit-and-miss engine that has
an igniter. I have read some as to how it works, but I can't seem to
find any information as to how to hook up the battery and coil to it.
I see the point to which the high voltage lead of the coil is attached
as well as that where the negative side of the coil is attached. I can
find no point, however, where the negative battery lead is indicated
to be connected. Is it simply connected to any point on the block or
am I missing something?There is no wiring diagram in the original
manual and I can't find anything specific online.

I would appreciate feedback from someone who is familiar with these
devices. Thanks.

Steve