John

Default Lead-Loc and Gas pipes

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news

SNIP

I'm fairly sure tin or lead pipe work is not currently acceptable.
I guess leaking is ID (See FAQ) and sound existing installations are AR.

Never heard of tin pipework, but wrt Pb IIRC BS6891 says that existing

lead
pipework is acceptable if in good condition. You're not allowed to extend

it
or put in new, but you can use what's there.

That's the way I look at it in on site situations. I give a NCS or Not To
Current Standards report. It does strike me as a pretty considerable risk in
a fire situation though. There was a terraced house fire in Goole some time
ago in which the local rag reported the gas had to be cut off during fire
fighting due to a leak "due to the fire" I'm guessing it was a meter
connection in the cupboard under the stairs in 3/4" lead which probably
ended up as a puddle with an uncontrolled escape full bore from the incoming
supply!

We shall probably see even more regulations coming along pretty soon :-(