RichardS

Default Advise on laying laminate flooring please.

"Curiosity" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 19:00:34 +0100, tarquinlinbin
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:57:51 +0100, Curiosity
wrote:

Hi all

snip

Thanks all of you for your help.

I had thoughts of using cheap laminate to start with, two reasons

a. Its on a new building site so quite a lot of grit etc will be
dragged in over the next year or so. I can lay the better stuff in a
year or two.

b. I am on a learning curve so using cheap stuff I can afford to make
a few mistakes and rip it up.

Asked for quotes for laying the flooring, they came in at 10 UKP and
12.50 UKP per M2.

Thanks

At that price it's one job that is definitely worth DIY-ing!

You're in an ideal position if you're laying a temporary sacrificial floor
until the local environment becomes more "friendly" - you can afford to make
any mistakes on this floor!

Honestly, if you have the least bit of aptitude for DIY work this is one job
that you will be able to complete successfully and satisfactorily. Once the
measuring up and careful positioning work for the first row is done the bulk
of the rest of it is very straightforward.

A jigsaw is a useful tool to have for the job, but by no means essential -
all cutting could be easily and quickly accomplished using the cheapest
wickes hand saws. The one thing that is near essential is the kit of tools
to pull and pry the boards together (can't remember offhand what it is
called).

If it's a hallway you won't have nasties like WC bowls and washbasins to fit
around.

You definitely need to leave the recommended expansion gaps around the
perimeter - these can be covered either by removing and refitting the
skirting (a pain, but the neatest finish) or by using the quadrant strip.
If you have to undercut the architraves around doors then use a flexible
handsaw pushed against an upside-down piece of the flooring, to act as a
height guide (don't forget to put the cushioning under it when doing this
otherwise you'll cut it too tight!).

--
Richard Sampson

email me at