Jim Stewart

Steve Mulhollan wrote:
I recently purchased a 1 1/2 HP Economy hit-and-miss engine that has
an igniter. I have read some as to how it works, but I can't seem to
find any information as to how to hook up the battery and coil to it.
I see the point to which the high voltage lead of the coil is attached
as well as that where the negative side of the coil is attached. I can
find no point, however, where the negative battery lead is indicated
to be connected. Is it simply connected to any point on the block or
am I missing something?There is no wiring diagram in the original
manual and I can't find anything specific online.

Ignitors don't use a high voltage coil
in the normal sense of the word. They
use a simple coil with an iron core in
series with a battery, an on/off switch,
and the ignitor points.

When the ignitor points are closed, the
battery current flows throught the coil,
building a magnetic field in the iron.
When the points open, the field collapses
(visualize a spring slowly pulled back
then suddenly released) generating an
arc across the ignitor points and lighting
the fire.

Some ignitors had places for 2 connections
but most used the engine frame as ground.

I don't know if polarity was important.
I doubt it.

Pictures please.