John A. Weeks III

In article . com,
wrote:

I've run a new coax-cable from the antenna through a signal-amplifier
to the TV, which is about 30' from the antenna. The antenna is
horizontal and is pointed toward Mt. Wilson. (I first used a compass
then the old "turn it until the picture is OK" trick but neither
improved the reception.

You normally need to be able to see the tower to get TV
reception. Can you see Mt Wilson from where you are at?
If not, you may need to get higher in the air. There
are likely buildings and power lines taller than your
antenna, and you need to get over them for a majority of
the line of site to the transmitter.

The range printed on antennas are marketing terms, not
technical specs. To get a station 45 miles away, you
might need an antenna rated at 160 miles or more. All
the more difficult if it is UHF (above channel 13) since
those signals fade more quickly in the atmosphere.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com