Lawrence Wasserman

In article . com,
KJ wrote:
Hello All,

I did some of my first dado's with d-handle router. Most of them came
out wiggly.

Any tips to avoid this?

It seems like during the routing process, it's not entirely smooth
sailing.

I was routing 3/4" oak ply, across the grain. The fence was smooth
aluminum, so no problems there. Fence was on the right, if that
matters.

-KJ

The main thing to remember is to move the router in a direction such
that the rotation of the bit will tend to force thr router against the
fence. In your example, with the fence on the right, I assume it is
oriented like a tablesaw fence, you would want to start at the far end
of the cut and move the router towards you. Looking down at the top of
the router, the bit is spinning clockwise like a drill bit, so as the
leading edge contacts the wood, imagine it as a turning wheel that
wants to roll along the surface it is cutting. Cutting edge towrads
you, bit turning clockwise, it will want to "roll" towards the right.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland