Lee

Default Hotpoint Fridge Freezer Temperature too high

Lee wrote:

I've taken off the fan cover. The fan isn't turning and the two pipes
at the top left are frozen over. Also items at the top of the of the
freezer aren't frozen whereas those at the bottom are (guess this is
down to the fan).

Think I've identified the thermistor but how do I read it? Do I need
some sort device to measure resistance?

Lee

Yep, you will need to check its resistance, probably easiest at the plug
in connector, can you borrow a Multimeter or DMM - or someone who has
one?
Might be an excuse to buy one of those £3 cheapies that Maplin and the
like sell, they are good enough for this sort of application and will be
useful for other things...

Obvious I know, but measure it with the power off!!

The usual failure mode of thermistors is open, so it should be fairly
obvious if it has completely failed.
Worth checking that the resistance is about right at the various temps
though. If you can.
This one is the one that commonly fails, apparently because of the
constant freeze/thaw it has to endure, but there are another two
additional thermistors that it could also be.

Also worth checking that the *fridge* door switch works correctly,
because this stops the *freezer* fan, when the *fridge* door is
open - at least it does on ours...

If the thermistors check out ok, then it's probably engineer time, if
the unit is worth it.

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.