Leo Lichtman

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote: How about a picture Leo, I would like to see how
you made yours,(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, maybe if I talk nicely to my son, I can get him to take a picture or
two for us.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I had in mind to use something like 3" angle for the
frame, hexagon in shape
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mine is made of 1/4" x 2" flat steel, welded into a square. As I mentioned,
the 45 degree gussets welded into the corners act as mounting surfaces,
strengthen the frame, and convert the square opening into an octagon.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
also would use 4 wheels rather than three(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think four will definitely work better.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(clip) as I look at wood warp the way it does, 4 wheels would work better I
imagined, what is your experience with that Leo ??
I have no basis for comparison, since I have never tried a three wheel
steady rest.

Your plan to use 3" angle iron was probably based on the need for surfaces
on which to mount the arms. But, by using angle iron, you wind up with an
opening that is 6" smaller than the outside of your hexagonal frame. By
using 1/4" flat stock, you lose only 1/2" from your outside dimension. The
flat areas for mounting the arms come from the corners of the square, which
were of no use anyway.

Thanks for your interest.