Jerry Martes

"Ignoramus5361" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 01:56:50 GMT, Jerry Martes
wrote:

"Ignoramus5361" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:57:34 -0700, Kelley Mascher
So, with a heliweld, gas, torch, and an AC buzzbox, I could have a tig
welder that would work on both steel and aluminum?

You'll want to make the buzzbox DC if you want to work with steel.

Thanks. There is a Miller DialArc 250 that I am eyeing.

You wont need the High Freq High Voltage with DC TIG with this machine
you
are describing.

I am not sure what does that imply. Are you saying that I do no need
the heliweld part?

You will need the HFHV if you want to use this machine on AC. AC is
really a must for aluminum

Got it. Aluminum is not a big priority for me, but it would be nice as
several important parts on my boat are made of it.

When it is complted, it is very unlikely that the welds made with the
machine will resemble what is normally be considered TIG welds.

It is my observation that it is interesting to build a welding machine
that uses the principals of the conventional TIG welding machine. But,
if
the ultimate goal is to actually do TIG welding, you awill almost
certainly
be dissatisfied with a buzzbox and a TIG torch.

Got it.

If if it is your intention to actually do some TIG welding, wait till
you
find one thats affordable. You are really good at finding very good
stuff,
cheap.

Thanks for the compliment. It is harder to find great deals with
welders, as I have discovered, but I will keep waiting and looking. I
already own the heliweld (have not picked it up yet), so I will just
sell it.

Wait-wait, dont sell the HF (high voltage maker) if you expect to get a
Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC. If the Miller you get doesnt already have a HF in
it, you could certainly build a good TIG with a stick welder that includes
remote current control.

Earlier I was identifying the characteristic of TIG where it is possible
to scratch start an arc with the Tungsten and it will remain an arc with DC.
That wont work with AC.

Jerry