Don Foreman

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 03:23:00 GMT, Ignoramus5361
wrote:

Thanks. There is a Miller DialArc 250 that I am eyeing.

I have a Dialarc 250HF. The HF means it has the high freq start built
in. The external HF I used with a buzzbox worked OK; the big
improvement was that the Dialarc just welds considerably better.
It's probably more "constant current" than a buzzbox. There is
certainly a lot more copper and iron there, at 480 lb. I've had it
for about 10 years now and am still completely satisfied with it. I
use it on both steel and aluminum.

I recently had a guy who'd worked in a welding shop tell me the shop
replaced their Dialarcs with Synchrowaves -- and the guys doing the
welding (including him) didn't like the Synchrowaves nearly as well.
He said they had more trouble getting consistently good welds, as in
making tanks with no leaks first try.

Some of the newer TIG machines have lots more bells and whistles, but
a number of people have told me that the old Dialarc was a good
machine capable of doing good work.