Don Foreman

On 28 Aug 2005 17:15:18 -0700, "Tod" wrote:

I am ignorant, please help!

I am considering purchase of a vertical bandsaw...I have horizontal but
would like a vertical for making cuts prior to forging (e.g., a 2" slit
down center of 1" bar). Never saw the use for one when I was first
learning, but it seems more and more like a tool I need.

I don't understand, though, why a tool like the Jet VBS-1408 is $3600
whereas the Jet VSF-14-1 (x is more than $1500 cheaper...seems like
self feed would be a good thing, and I'm not sure I see or understand
the value in variable speed, if you have 4 speeds to choose from 70,
140, 280, 580. What advantages are there with the more expensive saw
(both way about 580 pounds and have a 1 hp motor) -- is it just the
convenience of variable speed, or is it more suitable to precision
cuts?

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cf...ail&iid=137418
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cf...ail&iid=137420

I need single phase and a used saw on ebay is possible, if I can find
something decent near me. Still, I would love to be educated, because
I would have thought the self-feed saw would have been more expensive!

I think the four speeds on the VSF are spaced too far apart.

Why did you reject the Wilton 8201 and 8201VS? They're not as heavy
as the Jets, but they have a cast iron frame. They're considerably
less money than the Jets. I have an 8201, am completely satisfied
with it. It'll cut 1" bar (and thicker) no problem at all.