D Murphy

Gunner Asch wrote in
:

Btw..I also bought a 1983 Volvo 240 today for $100. It was on a ranch
out in the middle of sweet **** all. Old lady owned it (really) and
she was having problems as it would cut out now and then. I figure
its the fuel pump relay. Pretty common with that series. The wifes 82
Volvo is developing transmission issues, and it was cheaper to buy her
another car, than to buy a tranny from a wrecking yard. Shrug. Hers
is pretty ragged inside, and a 2 door, the new one is a 4 door, which
will make life for her easier strapping the grandbaby in the car seat.
Pretty clean, inside and out. 142k miles. Shrug..worst comes to
worst..pull the tranny and stick it in her car, along with the seats
and upholstery and junk out the 83.

142k is barely broken in. My brother is the parts mgr. at a volvo dealer.
He bought an 84 with 150k and a loud bearing rap. He bought a junkyard
motor and figured he'd swap it out when the motor died. He junked it at
250k, never put the boneyard motor in. His 850 has got 240k on it now,
never has had any major engine or tranny repair. I've owned a bunch of
Volvos over the years, but have never kept any past 150k or so for one
reason or another. I sold my wifes 740 a while back and bought her her
first ever new car. An S70. Nice car AFAIK, it's not like she'll let me
drive it or anything.

I actually like Bricks. Easy to work on, lots of em in the wrecking
yards to pull parts off. Hers has the K-jet injection, which around
here is rarer than the one on the new car.

Yup. A few electrical issues is the main beef with the 240's. I like the
740's too. Outside of the distributor, it's an easy car to work on. In any
case stay away from the sixes and the early turbos.

--

Dan