Tod

Default vertical bandsaw confusion, aka why is Jet VSF-14-1 cheaper than VBS-1408

I am ignorant, please help!

I am considering purchase of a vertical bandsaw...I have horizontal but
would like a vertical for making cuts prior to forging (e.g., a 2" slit
down center of 1" bar). Never saw the use for one when I was first
learning, but it seems more and more like a tool I need.

I don't understand, though, why a tool like the Jet VBS-1408 is $3600
whereas the Jet VSF-14-1 (x is more than $1500 cheaper...seems like
self feed would be a good thing, and I'm not sure I see or understand
the value in variable speed, if you have 4 speeds to choose from 70,
140, 280, 580. What advantages are there with the more expensive saw
(both way about 580 pounds and have a 1 hp motor) -- is it just the
convenience of variable speed, or is it more suitable to precision
cuts?

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cf...ail&iid=137418
http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cf...ail&iid=137420

I need single phase and a used saw on ebay is possible, if I can find
something decent near me. Still, I would love to be educated, because
I would have thought the self-feed saw would have been more expensive!

Thanks,
-Todd