Derek ^

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:32:31 GMT, T i m wrote:

On 28 Aug 2005 19:26:40 GMT, mike ring
wrote:

T i m wrote in news:3o63h11a4dme2lv9dlubtv2qsrisanmhjg@
4ax.com:

On 27 Aug 2005 21:37:20 GMT, mike ring
wrote:

I'm not sure they could take it anyway .. wouldn't it be considered
'electrical goods' even if low voltage?

Some still take electricals, if they have a tame PAT tester.

Ah .. maybe ours hasn't such then? Would 'everything' need PAT
testing, even if only low voltage was coming out of the sealed, two
pin, plastic earth pin, transformer bit would you know Mike?

If it was less than 25 volts single phase, and originally designed and
type tested to the SELV standard (Safety Extra Low Voltage) I'd say
no. Hopefully if it was made by a reputable manufacturer it would be.

But then OTOH it could be a "street market special", and how would the
charity shop know?

I own 2 pat testers, but I've stopped using them. Because it seems I'm
not qualified despite having a degree in Electronics and 30 years
experience to issue a certificate. To be qualified I'd have to go to
the local college of FE and sit in a class full of pimply youfs for a
couple of days.

AAMOF more and more I'm seeing the PAT testing scheme falling into
disuse. Most (say 70%) of the nhs equipment I get to work on has a
label indicating it hasn't been tested since 2,000/2,001.

It never was mandatory for electrical equipment in the workplace to be
PAT tested, merely regularly inspected. In simple equipment like
kettles with class 1 insulation (IE earthed) it is enough to inspect
the appliance, mainslead in particular, for damage or deterioration.

Where class 2 equipment (double insulated) is concerned PAT testing
couldn't test much anyway.

DG