Derek ^

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:11:13 +0100, "NickP" wrote:

Returned home last night from 3 weeks away to a putrid smell in the garage.
Looks & smells like our old old chest freezer has gone the way of all

We had a small cheap chest freezer in the kitchen which was
infrequently opened it contained 2 large turkeys (Free from ASDA)
sundry frozen food and lots of ice lollies. We started to notice a
faint off smell in the kitchen that we couldn't track down. Eventually
we got closer, and moving a pile of towels on the lid cracked it open
3-4 mm. The most awful, rancid, putrid smell of stinking carrion and
fermenting orange juice (from the lollies) filled the kitchen.

Any handling was out of the question. I went down to B&Q and bought a
garden incinerator and a bag of logs, the turkeys I extracted with a
garden fork, the other stuff I shovelled out with a spade, and burnt
the lot over about 6 hours. Surprisingly the turkeys burnt very well
and nothing remained.

(snip)

So it looks like I am facing the prospect of disposing of say .75 cu.m. of
very smelly stuff.

Any ideas please?

Phone the council and ask them what to do, officially it should be
burnt in an incinerator and not included in landfill. You might find
it's not accepted at a "recycling station" and you could be stuck with
it in the back of the car...

DG