Dave Matthews

"Brian G" wrote in message
Hi Dave,

To answer the question, yes it is 'normal' to notch the top of the joist

for
pipes and cables and it's usually done because it's easier than trying to
drill a series of holes through the centre of the joists for each pipe and
cable

Well that was the odd thing - there is a set of electrical cables that
run close to and parallel to the pipes but they have been fed through holes
cut through the centres of all the joists. The new cable I was putting in
required us to drill a new series of holes through the joists but it was a
doddle to do - about five minutes to drill five holes!

I'm guessing that the gas and water pipes were installed first by one
contractor and then another contractor was brought in to do the electrics
who decided to do his part of the job properly!

--

Cheers,

Dave