jim rozen

In article . net, Karl Townsend
says...

Your estimate of the idler's power draw at no load indicates that the
idler might be consuming about 2 HP. How big is the idler?

5 hp. idler.

How were you measuring that 7 amp current draw?

With an amp-clamp meter, right?

Well it was giving you the number that you didn't need to
know - it was giving you the total of both in-phase *and*
out-of-phase current.

The phase angle for the current flowing an unloaded idler
motor like that is about 90 degrees. It's not real current
and won't spin your meter.

Get a proper test setup to measure the phase angle and compute
the *real* power while it's unloaded, and you will see your
idler runs between 200 and 250 watts, most likely. That's
the result I found with my 5hp converter.

My estimation is that your converter is not what's costing
you the money.

Jim

please reply to: