mike

lizardblue wrote:
280Z isn't that bad to maintain. Fun cars. Keep the 6-cylinder
though.
Don't desecrate that nice little sports car with an American motor.
That straight six will go plenty fast, trust me.

About 20 years ago, that fairly gutless 6 with its touchy
Carbs was the first thing to go when a friend redid his.

Plenty of room under the hood for a SB Chevy, in the tunnel
for a 4sp. toploader and a narrowed Ford 9" with a 4link setup
in back.

plenty of 'Go' with similar handling.

Doing that over again today, I'd say still pull the 6 and
drivetrain but Ebay it rather than scrapping it for its metalweight,
and I'd use a SB Ford w/Aluminum heads or Turbo 3.8 Buick in front of
a 5 speed, a little lighter and now no more expensive to build
than doing the SB Chevy route, and saves you some weight over the
front end, plus those two have Fuel Injection and Computer setups
that aren't bad to retrofit to other vehicles. Companies make drop
in harness kits, so you don't have to mess with Holley or Carter
Carbs (That were far better than the carbs that came with the 260,
in any case) to avoid cutting your own harness.

**
mike
**