T i m

On 27 Aug 2005 21:42:58 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Owain writes:
T i m wrote:
I poped the top off the existing (double) socket and noted there were
3 sets of wires, potentially ring in / out and 'another'. On the other
side of the room was a single socket and 'probably' the other end of
this spur.
My (general) question is what are the rules re taking another spur off
this ring point (assuming you can get 4 x 2.5mm in the connectors
etc), especially as this and the existing are only single sockets (I'm
thinking this spur *could* have fed a double?).

Well ... technically it could give rise to a high point load but I

AFAICR there's nothing against it in the Regs.

The space in the terminals and the back box for the wires is going to be
the killer - bear in mind the requirement for "good workmanship".

Different makes vary. Be prepared to go out and buy a good
replacement socket with plenty of terminal capacity.

Understood. I think the existing *may* cope (I didn't want to pull it
about too much) but the owner wouldn't be against a new double socket
if needed.

The
other issue will be is there enough space in the back box
for another cable? Generally, you need a deeper box when
you have so many cables entering the box.

The existing double is on the (large) skirting on a deep surface
plastic box. I think they would be able to get another T&E in there
but might have to open up the hole in the box / skirting first.

As the 'new' socket is only going to be on the other side of the wall
(and probably also plastic surface mount) could one use singles
between them (might be easier to thread through the remaining space
etc?).

All the best ..

T i m