Wayne Cook

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:57:29 GMT, Ignoramus4038
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:21:34 -0700, Kelley Mascher wrote:
Normally these add high frequency output to an AC welder power source
to stabilize the output for TIG welding.

Thanks. So, with this, I could make a "tig welder" by adding a gun and
inert gas? Is that right? And could I weld steel and aluminum with that?

completely ignorant about welding

No this would add high frequency to the normal output of a DC
welder. High frequency is used to initiate the arc for TIG welding.
This is done so that you don't have to contaminate the tungsten by
scratch starting the arc. You can TIG weld with most DC welders but it
requires contact with the work piece to start the arc. High frequency
is a way to avoid it. What high frequency means is basically a very
high voltage at a high frequency which is impressed over the normal DC
voltage of the welder in order to start the arc without touching the
work. This is what really separates the TIG welders from the Stick
welders. There are other features on the newer (and older high end)
TIG welders as well but this is the real difference.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm