Jim Adney

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 06:56:51 -0500 "gb"
wrote:

"Jim Adney" wrote in message
.. .

I have one recommendation on a fix you should perform on any WTCPx
that you buy: Open up the case, take the output connector apart, and
SOLDER the wires to the connector sockets. Reassemble. If you do that,
it will treat you right, and you'll come to love this iron

Jim - are you saving that some units you have seen were not properly
soldered?
I have never seen this (and I have been repairing the WTCPx series for 30
years now). The 2 parts that need replaced on WTCPx series that are bad:
EC234/TC208 heater and 3 amp fuse inside the base unit.

I've never seen them come soldered. In my experience they always just
come crimped. Most of the time this is okay, but when they crimp to a
solid wire, which is often, they this connection seems to fail within
about a year, The connection heats up and melts the connector. They're
impossible to fix at that point, unless you have a replacement
connector.

Note: The early WTCPx irons have a one-piece power unit/iron stand,
while the later ones come as separate units, like your 2002. I like
the early, simpler version, but you may prefer the smaller, separate
stand. Buy the style you prefer.

Weller had 4 major styles (designs) for the WTCPx soldering station series.

Original TCP1/PU-1; W-TCP; WTCP-L
WTCPK (Special metal box made for the military under gov't contract)
WTCPN; WTCPR; WTCPZ
WTCPS; WTCPT

I've probably never seen the first version, and certainly never the
second. My experience has all been with the latter 2.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA