Don Foreman

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 17:20:47 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
remove .NOT to reply wrote:

I have an apple packing line that runs on three phase. It has four 3/4 hp.
motors and a hoist (1/2 hp) I leave the three phase ilder on 12 hours a day
seven days a week. I'm trying to trim my $600 monthly fall electric bill.
(mostly 5hp cooler) I get 7 amps usage while none of the packing line is
running. It would be nice to get rid of the motor hum also.

My question, would a VFD work well to provide three phase for this packing
line. Is standby power usage on a VFD near 0? I'd have to bring motors in
with the existing control logic and wire VFD so it always powers the output
legs.

I'd first check the no-load power consumption of the idler. If it's 7
amps at near 0 power factor, it doesn't cost much to run. Just
watch the electric meter for a little while with the idler being the
only load running. That (and a bit of calculation) will tell you
cost per hour of the idler's overhead.

My problem with VFD's is that they're so danged complicated. There
are a buncha settings to get right. Maybe some of them have
"default" values you can invoke if all you want is 3 phase 60 Hz.