Tony Hwang

Doug wrote:

"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in
oups.com:

coming out of the wall and a wire nut. Looking at the new chime it
doesn't appear doorbell technology has changed much (as it has the same
3 terminals), can I assume there's a 16V transformer in the wall
somewhere? Is there a way short of buying a voltage meter to tell?
Thanks!!

You can try to find the transformer and see if you can read the label.
It's probably a good idea to know where it is anyway. The transformer
shouldn't be buried in the wall since they can go bad. It's probably
attached to an electrical junction box somewhere or the main fuse/breaker
box. They're usually hunks of metal that have a couple of wires like the
ones at the chime location under screw terminals.

Doug

Hi,
Do you have multi meter? Does new chime has mechanical gongs like the
old one? Probably new one is digital chime generator with small speaker
or buzzer? Usually tranny is 24V and 16V sounds odd. I think you can
measure the voltage from those 3 wires; one is hot and one for front
door button one for the rear door. between those wires you'll see open
circuit voltage. Then you'll know.
Good luck.
Tony
P.S. Couldn't you just spray pait the old one's cover with your color
of chice?
color?