John McGaw

Doug wrote:
"grodenhiATgmailDOTcom" wrote in
oups.com:

coming out of the wall and a wire nut. Looking at the new chime it
doesn't appear doorbell technology has changed much (as it has the same
3 terminals), can I assume there's a 16V transformer in the wall
somewhere? Is there a way short of buying a voltage meter to tell?
Thanks!!

You can try to find the transformer and see if you can read the label.
It's probably a good idea to know where it is anyway. The transformer
shouldn't be buried in the wall since they can go bad. It's probably
attached to an electrical junction box somewhere or the main fuse/breaker
box. They're usually hunks of metal that have a couple of wires like the
ones at the chime location under screw terminals.

Doug

Or you might find it in the attic or in some strange location in the
basement. My present house has the attic location right above where the
ding-dong-box hangs in the hallway. My last house had it in the basement
mounted right next to the transformer that operated the zone valves for
the hot water baseboards. Confusing...
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]