grodenhiATgmailDOTcom

Default replace doorbell

We recently moved into our first home (built in 1950's). We are
looking to replace the door bell (well the chime part hanging on the
wall). Everything works fine, we just don't like the look of the
original one and want to replaqce it with the simple white chime box.
I have removed the cover (to the original) and it consists of just 3
terminals, front, terminal, and rear. I figure these are for front
door, power, and backdoor. These three wires are simply coming out of
the wall (with a wire nut). The original chime appears to be a NuTone
from 1956. My new door chime says to ensure I'm hooked to a 16V
transformer. I don't see anything there now as there are just wires
coming out of the wall and a wire nut. Looking at the new chime it
doesn't appear doorbell technology has changed much (as it has the same
3 terminals), can I assume there's a 16V transformer in the wall
somewhere? Is there a way short of buying a voltage meter to tell?
Thanks!!