Stuart

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:51:37 +0100, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

Set Square wrote:

My fairly ancient cistern seems to have failed -
it only flushes when the water level is dangerously high.
This is a low-leve cistern, sitting on the toilet bowl.

I was wondering if there are any clever units now
which one can use as replacements?
(I don't really want to replace the whole unit.)

I'm thinking of something that has 2 (or more)
levels of flushing, to save water.

Sounds like you need a new syphon unit. Have a look at
http://tinyurl.com/crk4b which would probably do the job.

Thanks, that sounds interesting.
I don't think screwfix has yet reached Ireland,
but next time I am in the UK ...

I was a bit surprised at the small range offered - 6 to 9 litres.
I don't like to be crude, but I would have thought a poo
was worth at least twice as much water as a pee.

I'm not quite sure whether your cistern is close-coupled (i.e. sits
directly on top of the pan) or low-level (i.e. mounted a little way above
the pan with a J-shaped pipe connecting the cistern to the pan. Which is
it - because the detailed instructions are slightly different in the two
cases?

It's close-coupled.
I was wondering if one had to remove the cistern in this case.

Actually, I have got the toiled working -
the overflow was not connected - just an open hole in the cistern.
I've sealed this, and bent the float arm
to let the water rise higher,
and all is working fine again.

The overflow not being connected wouldnt have contributed to your
problem..
I thought you said it only flushed when the water was dangerously high
but now you have bent the float arm to raise the level.????

Stuart

--

Shift THELEVER to reply.