T i m

Default Spur + spur from ring?

Hi all,

I was just round some friends who are quickly 'doing up' an older
place to house some friends of theirs.

While I was being shown round she asked me if it would be
(technically) [1] possible to put a socket on the wall on a landing,
being fed from the back of the socket the other side of the wall in a
bedroom (her electrician is on hols for two weeks and she wanted to
know if to decorate that area or not).

I poped the top off the existing (double) socket and noted there were
3 sets of wires, potentially ring in / out and 'another'. On the other
side of the room was a single socket and 'probably' the other end of
this spur.

My (general) question is what are the rules re taking another spur off
this ring point (assuming you can get 4 x 2.5mm in the connectors
etc), especially as this and the existing are only single sockets (I'm
thinking this spur *could* have fed a double?).

In practice the existing socket will probably only be feeding a table
lamp and the new one on the landing would be for a suction cleaner
(not that makes any difference to the regs etc) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

[1] The lady reminded me that I ran / wired some SWA to a waterproof
socket in the garden for her when I was 17 .. 32 years ago ... and
it's still working! g