Timothy Murphy

Set Square wrote:

My fairly ancient cistern seems to have failed -
it only flushes when the water level is dangerously high.
This is a low-leve cistern, sitting on the toilet bowl.

I was wondering if there are any clever units now
which one can use as replacements?
(I don't really want to replace the whole unit.)

I'm thinking of something that has 2 (or more)
levels of flushing, to save water.

Sounds like you need a new syphon unit. Have a look at
http://tinyurl.com/crk4b which would probably do the job.

Thanks, that sounds interesting.
I don't think screwfix has yet reached Ireland,
but next time I am in the UK ...

I was a bit surprised at the small range offered - 6 to 9 litres.
I don't like to be crude, but I would have thought a poo
was worth at least twice as much water as a pee.

I'm not quite sure whether your cistern is close-coupled (i.e. sits
directly on top of the pan) or low-level (i.e. mounted a little way above
the pan with a J-shaped pipe connecting the cistern to the pan. Which is
it - because the detailed instructions are slightly different in the two
cases?

It's close-coupled.
I was wondering if one had to remove the cistern in this case.

Actually, I have got the toiled working -
the overflow was not connected - just an open hole in the cistern.
I've sealed this, and bent the float arm
to let the water rise higher,
and all is working fine again.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie