SQLit

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to :
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:39:59 -0000, (Chris
Lewis) wrote:

Does it not also say that _each_ conductor must be the same size, and
each capable of carrying the full breaker current?

[Our code does.]

Which basically means you can parallel conductors to reduce end-to-end
resistance (voltage drop), but NOT to increase circuit ampacity.

No you add the ampacity of paralleled conductors but bear in mind they
must be 1/0 or larger (about 10mm).
The reason you can parallel conductors is to use a size that is more
easily handled in large ampacity circuits.

As I mentioned, _not_ in our code.

You can only parallel conductors to decrease voltage drop. The individual
conductors must still be large enough to take the full ampacity.

What code do you operate under?

I can not imagine trying to pull a conductor for a 2000 amp service. We
parallel conductors for load all of the time. It is not practical to use
any conductor larger than 1000 circular mills. I just do not have the sand
in the ass any more to handle wire that big.
Commonly 750 mcm is the largest conductor used where I live.