Mark D. Zacharias

Default low ESR cap question & vertical deflection ...

"Leon Kiriliuk" wrote in message
news
My old "monitor" has a vertical deflection problem. I've noticed one of
the caps leaked. (the problem was the top 1/2 stretched, while the bottom
shrunk.. until the tube got warm.. but stayed almost the same).

According to the net, it's either Marcom or Elna caps (1uF 50V 105 degrees
electrolytic).

So I went and put in there a 1uF 200V 105 degrees electrolytic. Now the
picture is shrunk to the middle 1/3 of the screen!

These caps are used to drive a AN5521. If I replace the IC, should that
fix my problem? are there any equivalent drop in IC's in case I can't find
it local to me?

Better yet, what are "low-esr" caps, and how can I tell them when
purchasing? Do I have to replace the 2 caps with the exact same "red"
caps, or are the ones I put in there now good enough?

Thanks!

Replacing the IC isn't going to fix it; you still have cap problems.

Mark Z.