Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Tony

Nice bowls !!

Question, does the wood from fresh cut tree not darken up after a while,
(number of months/years)??
Or is the darker color of the wood from the "aged" log because of
staining/spalting.
I just like to know, thanks.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Tony Manella wrote:

Tom,
In between the plain fresh cut wood and spalted wood gum can get
interesting. Here is a link to a photo on my web page
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/page67.html . The little bowl on the right is
freshly cut gum. The bowl on the left was cut form wood that aged for about
2 months. The time drastically improved the color of the wood.
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.com/

"Joe Fleming" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tom,

Boring wood until it spalts. I've made a number of spalted bowls with
great success. The wood spalts then rots fast. The difference between
good spalt and rot is about 2 weeks.

Well, maybe not that fast, but pretty fast. Stay on top of the process
or you will lose the wood.

Joe Fleming - San Dieog