Don Foreman

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 02:30:44 GMT, Ignoramus18245
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:16:24 -0700, Grant Erwin wrote:
Ignoramus18245 wrote:

I just won a 4x4x2 ft box of tools that includes a "heliweld arc
stabilizer". ($400 total). I am curious if I can somehow use it and
other low cost components to make a nice wire or tig welder.

I think you'll find it's basically made of what will look a lot like a
transformer, but is in fact a big inductor. This will tend to even out changes
in current, since inductors resist changes in current. So you might be able to
make an AC transformer into a decent CC welder. Yes, TIG welders are CC, but it
takes more than an arc stabilizer to make a TIG welder.

Thanks.

Wire? Forget it -- for
that you need CV, which calls for a big-ass bank of capacitors.

How big ass? I am asking because I have some seriously big capacitors
right now.

Millermatic 210: four 30,000 uF 45 volt