Chris

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:28:56 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Use a coarser paper but you can get by w/ just mudding over unless it's
a very high gloss and even that would most likely stick...

What about situations (which I have one :-) where as the sheetrock
meets, there's not any factory edge (depression in sheetrock for
taping). If it's a small section (18"x24"), can a person use
something like spackle or Durhams putty in the joint and not the
typical mud and tape?

You still need to tape the joint--if you don't it will show up w/
hairline cracks almost immediately. It's easier to get small amount of
premixed drywall compound because you need to feather a butt seam over
at least 8-12" wide area to avoid the "hump"...

Back to my original post - Does this 'mud' clean right up from the tub
surface or are there precautions I should take to protect the surface
from that stuff landing on it? Thanks very much - appreciate your
advice.

It'll dissolve w/ water...I'd probably mask off an edge just to make
cleanup quicker if I thought I was going to be messy...

So is there a desired gap (i.e. 1/4") that I should shoot for to allow
the mud to work in? What do you think about tape - do you prefer
paper or fiberglass?

Also, in the corner of the shower, I ended up with a little over 1/2"
vertically. Should I lay 3 strips of tape vertically across that gap?
(1 center and one on either side of that)? Guess that was my plan.

thanks again...