larry g

Grant
your 100% right, but he isn't scrapping out a welder.... An 80 pound
charger ought to be able to deliver the amps to do a bumper. A door from a
Mack truck takes about 18 amps at 12v.
lg
no neat sig line

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
I figured out how to make my MIG welder act like a DC power supply. That's
the only way to go for electrolytic derusting -- nudge the volts up until
you get a nice even bubbling.

I figure there is an optimal current per unit surface area of the anode
being derusted. I don't know what that is, but lots of guys just say "get
it up to about 2-4 amps" or something, which is fine for something the
size of a screwdriver, but for a truck bumper you'd need a lot more amps
to get nice bubbles everywhere.

GWE

larry g wrote:

power supply for the derusting tank that you have to build. As soon as
you part with it you will figure out the electrolysis method of
derusting.
lg
no neat sig line
"Ignoramus18245" wrote in message
.. .

I have a very heavy military surplus 12V battery charger. Maybe 80 lbs
(WAG). I could not sell it. It works, but is heavy and bulky. Is there
any human reason to keep it, or should I just remove all usable pieces
and throw it away? It has some smarts in it that only turn the
transformer on when the battery is connected. (which I consider to be
bad for any purposes other than battery charger).