Kevin

I should have been a bit clearer. In a past life I was a Tool and Die
machinist. At times, some of the older tools (press plate dies, punch
press, router jigs, welding jigs, etc...) would need repair work. When we
were just too darn far away from the tool crib and the head on a cap screw
or countersunk bolt was not just right, into the drill press it went and we
applied the files.

For my lathe, I buy original equipment.

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message
Hi

Chucking up a fitting nut in a 3 jaw metal chuck or drill chuck and then
cutting filing or/and sanding has always been my preferred way of
dealing with something like that, the threaded part is the most
important and you don't want to damage that, however as the correct
screws are available, why go through all the trouble fitting some
slightly cheaper screws, just don't makes sense imo.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Kevin wrote:
We did something similar in the machine shop. We chucked the bolt/screw
into a drill press and used files to shape the head to the desired
dimension.

"Arch" wrote in message

Hi William,

You know this dodge, but someone might not.

To better grind points, tapers or reduce the circumference of a metal
rod, etc. chuck the piece in a drill and rotate it against the rotating
grinding wheel instead of holding the piece by hand.You might want to
try this to adust the screw heads.

Remember to protect chucked small threads (the tops aren't flat) with
paper or wire .

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter