Beachcomber

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 02:24:39 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:
All,

Ok, I have had DSL put into my home. It's from SBC and I'm having a
ton of problems. I want to put in my own Demarc unit but I have a
questions. Let me first tell you my home was built in the 80's, is in
Southern California. Here is the situation. The wire coming in from
the street has ten wires in it. 5 white and 5 colored. The lines in
my house have six wires. These are setandard if you will....3 colored
wires and then three white wires with the corresponding colored lines.
Anyway, the wire from the street to my house is going to a piece of
equipment (About hald the size of a deck of cards) that had two screws
on one side, two on the other and then a single screw that was
connected to a grounding wire. Anyway, everything I'm reading talks
about Demarc boxes and lines having a green and red wire. This is not
the case for me. What the heck do I connect to what? Do I only
connect the "two live" wires from the street to the new Demarc unit or
do I connect all ten. Is the colored line the "green" or the "red"?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Inside your house, if the 3 pair is standard (called station G) wire,
the color code would be:

First Pair White with Blue (tip) Blue with White (ring)

2nd Pair White with Orange (tip) Orange with White (ring)

3rd Pair White with Green (tip) Green with White (ring)

Note: Tip is Positive (+) Ring is Negative (-)

You need to insert a DSL filter (using one pair) for the phone line
that your DSL Service is piggybacked on. Easiest place to do this is
at or near the Demarc Box. (That way, only one filter needed). The
fillter keeps the hissy DSL noise off of your phone line.

Otherwise you would need to put a DSL filter at each phone which is
usually a pain. Don't forget about alarm interfaces, satellite
receiver telephone connections and answering machines. They need the
filters also.

The wires coming from your CO (central office) may or may not follow a
standard color code. One or more will have POTS (Plain old telephone
service on it) depending on how many phone lines installed in your
house. One (and only one) phone line, will have the DSL line
installed. This needs to pass through (unfiltered) to your DSL
utilization point. Typically, this is the jack where you plug in your
DSL modem.

A telephone handset and a DC voltmeter would be handy service tools to
have at this point.

Beachcomber