RP

Shabam wrote:

I have an air conditioner leaking water on to my ceiling. The unit is up in
the attic and I had someone come out to take a look. He said the evaporator
coil and horizontal coil needs to be replaced. The drain pan was all rusted
out at the bottom also (not sure if that's a separate thing). Anyways, I
was quoted $1800 to have it fixed. This seems rather high so I'd like to
get your opinion. Note that I know nothing about ACs.

The air con is a 3 ton unit, and I see in the notes that the existing coil
model # is 6H365 36000, followed by what looks like "BtPayne" (not sure what
that is, can't read the sloppy handwriting).

Can someone give me some advice on this, such as:

- Is this price too high?
- The drain pain, is that what the coil is referring to?
- What brand coil should I get? I've read some reports about flimsy coils
that will break in a few years, and I don't want that.

Depending upon access, etc. this could be a very reasonable price.
Brand isn't going to matter nearly as much as how well the job is done.
If you want to insure against premature leakage then just remove the
system. All brands are susceptible to formicary corrosion and rust. One
preventive measure is to keep the condensate assembly clean, another is
to keep up with the air filter. Dirt on a coil can release corrosive
agents and catalysts.

hvacrmedic