Mathew Newton

Default Technical difference(s) between GLS/reflectors and candle lamps?

Following on from a recent thread (but not wanting to divert his
discussion away hence this new one) regarding the commonly known
de-rating of dimmers for use with halogen lamps can anyone tell me why
it is also neccessary to de-rate dimmer capacity for candle lamps
against GLS/reflectors?

I can understand that the inrush currents for halogens when cold are
far higher than that for GLS lamps, hence the de-rating, however what
are the technical differences between a candle lamp and a
similarly-rated GLS/reflector lamp? I had, clearly errouneously,
assumed that the 'innards' were the same and that it was merely the
shape of the bulb that was different?

Can anyone err... enlighten me? ;-)

Mathew