Hamie

Holly, in France wrote:
The Wanderer wrote:

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:25:36 +0100, Holly, in France wrote:

re green pool water

[deleted]

I added 30 litres as recommended on the container "a glass and a half
per cubic metre" - nothing like accurate instructions :-) But in answer
to Nigel's question, yes, it was domestic bleach which is only 2.6%, so
it probably wasn't much of a shock to anything.

That should turn the water nice and milky cloudy. I use Goldiflock

tablets

with the filter, running it more or less continuously for a couple of
weeks, backwashing regularly, although any flocculant should work OK.
Took three or four weeks to get to the stage yours seems to be, then
a further two or three weeks to completely clear, so you're probably
out of luck for crystal clear this week end! Unfortunately, there's
no magic wand solution to sort it out overnight.

Right, thanks, the magic wand was really just what I was after! Thanks
also for the tip about the chlorine stabiliser, which we are not using
but is well worth knowing about. The water is improving all the time,
the flocculant seems to be the answer. I suspect that a given amount of
flocculant can only coagulate a certain amount of particles, and that's
why it continues to improve it. I reckon that at the moment we could
probably convince people it was very expensive specially imported sea
water, at a pinch. It's visually acceptable though and not too chloriny
or too salty, people seem happy enough to go in it.

Hmm..

When I used to maintain a pool back home flocculant was added at night,
and left to settle. The next day you vacuumed all the crud off the bottom.

Seems to me if you're trying to filter out the crud it will take even
longer (Because you vacuum straight to waste, wheras trying to filter it
you just crud up the filter & require frequent backwashing)