Phisherman

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:00:44 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:

Table saws usually come (so it appears to me) with left-tilt mechanisms.
However, you can opt with many manufacturers to buy a right-tilt version.

Many of the left-tilt models will present the left-tilt as a "safety
feature" - implying somehow that the right-tilt is less safe. I saw some
writeup on this but it didn't make a lot of sense. However, there must
be something to it because so many manufacturers seem to bias towards
the left-tilt.

Can anyone explain this in simple terms to me? I realize that in theory,
one should be able to make a mirror image table saw, and that this would
require doing things (like ripping) in a mirrored-image fashion.

Is this simply a matter of preference or are there legitimate reasons
for getting a left-tilt over a right-tilt?

Jack

SAFE:

__________\_____||_____

NOT AS SAFE:

The diagrams in the "Not so safe" configuration traps the wood between
the blade and fence which can result in an unsafe kickback situation.
I have a left-tilt blade so I keep the fence on the right side when
making beveled rip cuts. I'm right-handed, but that probably makes
little differnce. You want the top of the blade to tlit away from the
fence.