mac davis

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 04:29:59 GMT, "Jeff" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message

Jeff... I can't tell you about technique, but I have a lot of experience
with
impatience...

It's taken me years to learn to do 2 things:

When it stops being fun, go do something else for an hour or so.. your
subconscious will be working on it and will bring you back to the project
with a
better mind set..

When I was "younger", I was always in a hurry to finish things.. if a step
involved waiting for something, I'd skip it..
Now, when I'm up against something like glue setting or a finish drying, I
go
play on the computer, mow the lawn, beat the grand kids, whatever.. just
force myself to wait... as a reformed control freak, it's been an uphill
battle.. lol

I really haven't learned patience as much as the ability to recognize my
impatience and deal with it.. group hugs help, too.. *g*

My impatience is innate, and I, too, struggle with it. Skew chisels have
become my nemesis. They leave such a lovely surface when used correctly,
and catch all too frequently. I've even put a slight radius on my larger
skew--I'll try that for a while and see if it eliminates some of the
catches. If not I'll straighten it out again.

It's difficult to see DVDs of pro turners using skews with the same skill I
possess with a fork when feeding my face and not get impatient. I too
recognize my impatience while being generally unable to eliminate it.
(sigh)

Jeff

my kids got discouraged when after a couple of sessions on the lathe, they
couldn't do the stuff that I do.. (and I'm far, far from an expert)

I usually solved patience problems with them with something like "did you learn
to hit a pitched baseball on your first day?"..
It put things in prospective for them and might explain the difference in you
skill/experience with a fork vs. a skew.. *g*

If all else fails, thinking that billions of people around the world don't know
that I put a ding in a chunk of wood, and they wouldn't give a **** if they did
know..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing