Ken Sterling

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I am going to make a threading dial for my Jet 1024. ...

Thanks for all the replies in this thread. I have finished my dial,
after many distractions. Here is a pictu
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/thread-dial.jpg

I made the gear by hobbing a piece of plastic, unknown lineage. But it
machined real nice - long smooth curls, very waxy in appearance. And
strong (tensile). The threading dial that I copied had a spur gear, but
I cut a worm wheel, to fit the worm lead screw. The tool I ground to
cut the hob was not very precise, but it works. I "gashed" the gear on
the lathe by using the feed gear train to step the spindle. I also
hobbed the gear on the lathe with the hob between center and by making a
blank holder to fit the lathe tool holder.

There is a spring under the head of the mounting SHCS. It supplies
enough pressure to hold the gear against the screw, but allows the dial
to be swung away.

Thanks again,
Bob

Nice, Bob. However, the "spring under the head of the SHCS" has me
concerned. Do you tighten the SHCS to "prevent" the gear from moving
away from the lead screw? If not, I think I would recommend that you
do, to prevent a little piece of swarf from making your dial "jump a
tooth" when you're not looking..... could ruin a good project someday
G Glad you're now ready to start doing some threading.....
Ken.