DE

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:28:35 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"DE" wrote in message
.. .
snip-----

Interested in any thoughts...

DE

Bad idea. Only under very controlled conditions should one weld on heat
treated items. What are the risks if you have a failure? If none, give
it a go, but I think you'll find it's a false economy. Anything you save in
material you'll spend in labor tearing it down more frequently. You'll
either anneal the bolts by welding on them, or create fracture zones so they
fail if they are still heat treated when you're finished. Being carbon
steel, I think they'll be annealed instead, so you'll have lost all the
advantages of grade 8 bolts, and introduced stress areas.

It will be interesting to hear how this goes.

Harold

After posting I did a search and found bolts online for much
less than the local guy. Story over.

But said machine has a rod end bearing holder that need some
attention.
The stresses on the insert bearing are rated at around
1400 lbs dynamic and half that static. So the 7/8" grade
8 bolt is way over that. The grade 8 bolt must be for wear
purposes.

The bearing holder insert is a
self centering type bearing . Have a bunch that I picked up
new surpluss. The holder is a Fafnir proprietary item @ $120. I
use 4. Only one is loose presently and it looks like a forged piece
with a 7/8 14 male threaded end. Looks like one of these but
is fitted with different type bearing

http://www.qbcbearings.com/RFQ/defau.../B610P168.html

Maybe drill/tap a setscrew/jamnut
to hold bearing tighter?

The failure risk is of non injury type only money....
I can hear when things are coming apart and can get shut down
before total failure.

The machine has some design shortcomings that I manage to find
workarounds and I enjoy the challange of keeping it running.
I paid $350 for it back in 74 and it paid for it self the first couple
of day I ran it...It is stout as hell and could go another 50 years
easy the way I run it.

Tnks for the input

DE